Below you will find moving tips that we provide for anyone who is considering a move. We hope you will find it helpful.
We know moving anything, anywhere involves a lot of things to think about. Use our moving tips to help your move become just a little less stressful.
- Make your reservations for movers two to four weeks before your move day.
- Two weeks before the move don’t forget to arrange to transfer school records.
- Make a “survival closet” of things for the last cleanup before you move out – broom, dust cloth, dust pan, mop.
- Schedule disconnect times for about a week before your move day — you don’t want to have to pay for cable, phone and utilities when you aren’t even there!
- Cancel newspapers, cable, pest control, cleaning help, lawn services about a week before the move.
- Mail in your change of address forms about week before your move date.
- Clean your stove before you move out.
- The day before your move, defrost the fridge.
- Make sure to get enough cash to get you through move day.
- Take time to say goodbye to friends and neighbors before your busy move day.
- If you are depending on friends and family to help you move, have a back-up plan if they don’t show
- Avoid mixing items from different rooms in the same box.
- Use wardrobe boxes to make closets easier to pack. Clothes in drawers can be placed in suitcases.
- Use only small boxes for books. They get very heavy, very fast.
- For large appliances be sure to check your owner’s manuals to see if there are special instructions for moving.
- Never use newsprint to wrap fine china.
- Always stack dishes upwards when packing.
- Pack important and sentimental documents separately to be easily accessible including: children’s health records, passports, family records, insurance information and photo albums.
- Never use duct tape – use packing tape.
- Clearly label all boxes on top and side.
- Don’t try to get rid of your children’s favorite things before the move – even if it makes it easier. Kids sometimes have a hard time dealing with the change of the move itself.
- As you take apart furniture and other items make sure to tape all parts to the main base.
- Use only small boxes for books. Books get very heavy, very fast.
- Try to pack all electronic equipment, like stereos in their original boxes. Otherwise use bubble wrap when packing these items.
- Start packing items you will not need ahead of time.
- By law, a moving company can’t transport hazardous materials such as gasoline, bottled gases and other flammables, ammunition and explosives.
- Pack a box of essential items that you will need immediately after the move and make sure it’s the last thing added to the truck.
- Always pack and unpack breakables over a padded surface.
- Always tape boxes. Don’t interlock the tops.
- Clean out closets, the attic, and the basement as soon as you decide it’s time to move.
- Don’t use boxes without tops. No tops make it impossible to stack properly in the truck.
Tips for Hiring a Thunder Bay Moving Company
When interviewing Thunder Bay moving companies, remember to ask the following questions:
- if they are insured and bonded and how they charge.
- if they charge extra for large items such as pianos and big screen TVs.
- what kind of training their movers and drivers go through before servicing customers.
- if there is a cancellation policy.
- if they will have a contact person on site or provide a contact number for the day of the move.
- if they move nights and weekends and if they charge for that service.
- what type of payment options they offer.
- what their customer referral rate is.
- if they use full-time employees or temps and day labor. (Be cautious of those who use temps and day labor because they may not have proper insurance.)
- if they offer free estimates.
- if they charge for travel time from their office to your location.
- if they have suggestions on how to make your move easier.
- if they offer packing and unpacking services.
- if your items will be insured during the move.
- if they have a minimum charge.
- if they charge by the piece or by the hour.
Thinking About Moving?
If you are thinking about moving, consider Thunder Bay Movers (T-Bay Movers) for all your Thunder Bay moving needs. T-Bay Movers is a Thunder Bay moving company based in Thunder Bay, Ontario. We offer residential moving services and commercial moving services. Our prices are affordable and our services are focused on quality and customer satisfaction. Click here to get a free quote on your move.